Now more than ever, standing out on social media is a top priority for marketers. With the advancement in technology, social media has become vital to businesses as a form of communication, advertising and business overall. In fact, according to Buffer, “73% of marketers believe that their efforts through social media marketing have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.” With so much competition across social media, brands must be on their A game when it comes to all things social media.
Well, captions are definitely one of the items on that list and luckily for you, I’ve narrowed down a few tips and tricks that you can use to write an effective caption for your Instagram post.
- Determine your audience. Understanding who you are writing to is an important first step in coming up with a caption. Not only will it affect your tone or style of voice, but it’ll also keep your caption relevant and on track with your goal of reaching these consumers.
- Capture attention immediately. According to Wyzowl, “our attention span has markedly decreased in just 15 years.” With so much competition online and the short attention spans we are working against, it is essential to capture your audience’s attention almost immediately. The first few words of your caption need to be meaningful, captivating and inviting. A few ways to capture your audience’s attention immediately are to:
- Start it off with a question like: ‘Did you know colon cancer is the third leading cause of death for men and women in the US?’
- Humanize the caption/post by introducing who is in the photo. An example of this in healthcare would look like: ‘Meet 52-year-old Jenna Watson, a breast cancer survivor thanks to ______ hospital’.
- Take advantage of Instagram’s features. Hashtags, mentions and emojis are three features available to IG users. Hashtags are a great way to remain timely and relevant while keeping up with a trend. Hashtags also lead for additional opportunities to increase reach and new audiences. Mentions are another way to connect with users. Social media is all about connecting and engaging with audiences, so why not directly @mention someone in a post. This will also guide that user’s followers to your page, increasing visibility. Many brands fear using emojis because they feel it may reduce credibility or professionalism, however, it’s actually the opposite. If it ties into your brand voice, using emojis allows your audience to resonate with you as it humanizes the brand as a whole.
- Include a call-to-action. Behind every social media marketing strategy, there should always be an end-goal behind it. Whether it’s to increase engagement or conversions, including a CTA is essential to every Instagram caption. Here are a couple of CTA examples you can take inspiration from:
- Learn more on our website at the link in our bio
- Watch our Instagram Story to hear what patients are saying about their care
- Follow our partner @partner for the latest and greatest updates
Yes, your content needs to be worthwhile and meaningful, however, behind every successful social media post or campaign, there is an effective caption. By knowing who your audience is and captivating their attention with Instagram’s features, you will be able to increase conversion using that very witty CTA at the end of your caption. Now, get going and start writing those captions!
Did you enjoy this post? Learn more about 3 must-haves in a healthcare marketer’s social media content strategy in my last post.