With the ever-changing world of technology, marketers are always striving to stay up-to-date with the latest and greatest tools that the digital marketing world has to offer. Now more than ever, social media has become a primary marketing strategy to engage with consumers and connect with potential ones. Well, hospitals are also using social media to increase their brand awareness, whether it’s by influencing word-of-mouth or retaining loyal patients. In fact, according to Demi & Cooper Advertising and DC Interactive Group, “41% of people said social media would affect their choice of a specific doctor, hospital, or medical facility.” In healthcare, there are several online elements that may influence a consumer’s willingness to choose a hospital. So, how do healthcare marketers use social media to their advantage to attract these consumers? Let’s dive in…
Creating a social media content calendar is an important step to having the most effective strategy to target patients and engage with your community. Every successful social media content calendar has three key elements: quality, relevance, and consistency. Here are some tips on how to achieve all three of these key elements for your hospital’s social media platforms.
- Quality. With so many competing brands and businesses on social media, posting high-quality content is key to getting your profile to stand out. With hospitals being such high-end, influential companies, target audiences expect a level of professionalism and quality when browsing across our social media pages. Whether you are posting a video, a photo or a graphic, always ensure you are following best practices on resolution and content size. Click here for Hootsuite’s Social Media Size Guide
- Relevance. Healthcare is a tough topic to market because as I’ve said several times, we are marketing a service most people don’t want to buy. Understanding what to post is important, but knowing when to post is essential. The best way for healthcare marketers to maintain relevance and timeliness within their social media content strategy is to be aware of the national health observances impacting their hospital. Whether it’s Heart Health Month in February or National Nurses Week in May, healthcare marketers should incorporate such observances into their social media calendar.
- Consistency. Maintaining consistency online is a great way to engage with followers and attract new ones. In addition, it helps optimize brand awareness and increases chances of brand recognition and recall. Whether it’s posting an employee recognition once a week or posting a patient testimonial video bi-weekly, healthcare marketers want to give their target audiences something to look forward to. Here’s a social media calendar best practice I like to follow:
- Monday → #MissionMomentMonday (employee recognition)
- Tuesday → #TipTuesday (important health tips)
- Wednesday → Facebook Live Lunch and Learn with A Doc Series
- Thursday → Health Observance of the Week
- Friday → #FeelGoodFriday (patient testimonial)
Having an effective social media content strategy is key to increasing brand awareness and engaging consumers. Social media marketing is one of my favorite parts of being a healthcare marketer. Not only does it give me a chance to connect with patients and potential patients, but it also allows me to share the great work my colleagues do, saving lives each and every day.
Did you enjoy this post? Learn more about how you can take your social media strategy to the next level with influencer marketing on my last post.